AskBiography Logo   Latest News  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Google Buzz  Became Fan - Facebook  Subscribe to RSSRSS   Bookmark and Share

Austar

Company nameAustar Communications
Company typePublic (Asx - AUN)
SloganYou'll love what's on!
IndustrySatellite television
Telecommunications
Founded1994
HeadquartersSydney, New South Wales
Gold Coast, Queensland
Key peopleJohn Porter, CEO
Mike Fries, Chairman
ProductsAUSTAR Subscription Television
AUSTARnet
AUSTAR Mobile
Employees|755,000 as of Dec.'06

     Home | Company | Austar





Austar is an Australian telecommunications company. Its main business activity is Subscription Television but it is also involved with internet access and mobile phones. It was founded in 1994 under the name Community Entertainment Television (CETV).

AUSTAR's television subscriber base has grown to 747,148 (at 30 June 2010), the largest subscription television operator in regional and rural Australia. AUSTAR provides, of subscription television services in a service area of approximately 2.4m homes, one-third of Australia's total homes, primarily using digital satellite technology. AUSTAR also operates a digital cable network in Darwin

It is owned by Austar United Communications Limited (Asx - AUN). 54% of Austar United is owned by Liberty Global, through United Austar Partners. The remaining 46% is owned by public shareholders

Austar also owns 50% of XYZnetworks, a pay television program provider, a 50-50 joint venture between Foxtel and Austar.


Warning: simplexml_load_file(http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/-/Austar?orderby=viewCount&max-results=10) [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/-/Austar?orderby=viewCount&max-results=10" in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 260