AskBiography Logo   Latest News  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Google Buzz  Became Fan - Facebook  Subscribe to RSSRSS   Bookmark and Share

Thai Airways International

Thai Airways International
AirlineThai Airways International
Founded1 May 1960 (merged with Thai Airways Company on 1 April 1988)
Airline hubSuvarnabhumi Airport
Focus cities
Frequent-flyer programRoyal Orchid Plus
Member lounge
* Royal First Lounge * Royal Orchid Spa * Royal Silk Lounge * Royal Orchid Lounge
AllianceStar Alliance
Fleet size89 (+62 orders)
Destinations72 (60 inter. + 12 domes.)
Company sloganSmooth as Silk
Parent companyThai Ministry of Finance
HeadquartersChatuchak District, Bangkok, Thailand
Key people
* Ampon Kittiampon (Chairman) *Piyasvasti Amranand (President)

     Home | Company | Thai Airways International

Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (Thai) ( , ) is the national flag carrier and largest airline of Thailand. Formed in 1988, the airline's headquarters are located in Chatuchak District, Bangkok, and operates out of Suvarnabhumi Airport. Thai is a founding member of the Star Alliance. Thai is a major shareholder which hold 39% shares of Nok Air-a low-cost Bangkok-based carrier. In August 2010, Thai announced to own 51% of a joint venture for a low-cost airline based in Thailand, with Tiger Airways owning the remaining 49%.

From its hub at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thai flies to 72 destinations in 35 countries, using a fleet of 89 aircraft. The airline operates one of the 10 longest non-stop commercial flights.The airline operates one of the longest non-stop commercial flights of Boeing 777-300 from Bangkok to Athens(seasonal), and the longest non-stop commercial flight of Boeing 777-200 from Bangkok to Brisbane. Thai Airways International was the first Asia-Pacific airline to serve London Heathrow Airport. Among East Asian carriers, Thai Airways has one of the largest passenger operations in Europe.

Skytrax awarded Thai Airways International Worlds Best Cabin Staff and The Best Airline in the World in 2006, while placing second in the Airline of the Year category in 2007. Thai's first class lounge at Suvarnabhumi Airport was awarded World's Best First Class Lounge by Skytrax in 2009. Thai Airways International has received an award for the excellence of its inflight hygiene measures by the World Health Organization.

Thai Airways International is currently an official sponsor of Football Association of Thailand.

Warning: simplexml_load_file( [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 260