AskBiography Logo   Latest News  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Google Buzz  Became Fan - Facebook  Subscribe to RSSRSS   Bookmark and Share

Terry Hibbitt

Personal information
Full nameTerence Arthur Hibbitt
Place of birthBradford, England
Place of deathNewcastle upon Tyne, England
Playing positionMidfielder

     Home | Football | Terry Hibbitt

Terence Arthur "Terry" Hibbitt (1 December 1947 - 5 August 1994) was an English football player, who was on the books at Leeds United, Newcastle United and Birmingham City during his career. His position was midfielder. His brother Kenny Hibbitt also established himself as a successful footballer.

Born in Bradford, West Yorkshire, Hibbitt began his career at local Yorkshire club Leeds United, who were particularly strong at the time, with twelve full internationals in the first team. This wealth of ability meant Hibbitt found in difficult to retain a first team place and was looking for a new club. Newcastle United's manager Joe Harvey bid £30,000 for his services in 1971, which was accepted by the club; he officially joined the Magpies on 1 August of that year. His debut came two weeks later, in an away match against Crystal Palace. This was incidentally the same game in which Malcolm Macdonald made his first appearance for Newcastle. Both of these players are still held in high regard by many Newcastle supporters.

Whilst at Newcastle, Hibbitt was appreciated for his workrate and overall contribution to the team. Although he scored just fourteen goals during his time at the club, he made many assists and was noted for his accurate crosses with his left foot. He moved to Birmingham City in 1975, where he enjoyed three years at the club and made more than 100 appearances. He returned to Newcastle to see out the end of his career, staying at the club up to his retirement in 1981, after failing to recover from a knee injury. He went on to play non-league football with Gateshead until 1986, during which time he also coached the team. He made 130 appearances in all competitions for Gateshead, scoring seven goals.

Hibbitt became Gateshead manager at the end of the 1985/86 season after the Tynesiders had gained promotion to the then Gola League (Conference National). He resigned in October 1986 after six months in the job, due to the clubs financial position and lowly position in the league.

Hibbitt later owned a pub in the North-East as well as a paper shop in the old West Denton Shopping Centre, next to the Whin Dyke public house. He contracted cancer and died in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1994 at the age of 46.

Warning: simplexml_load_file( [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 260