AskBiography Logo   Latest News  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Google Buzz  Became Fan - Facebook  Subscribe to RSSRSS   Bookmark and Share

Klamath Falls Airport

Klamath Falls Airport
Airport information
Airport typePublic
OperatorCity of Klamath Falls
LocationKlamath Falls, Oregon
Elevation1248 m (4095 ft)

     Home | Airport | Klamath Falls Airport

Klamath Falls Airport , also known as Kingsley Field, is a joint civil-military public airport located four miles (6 km) southeast of Klamath Falls, in Klamath County, Oregon, USA. The airport has two runways. It is mostly used for military and general aviation, but also has limited commercial service.

As Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, the airport serves as the home of the Oregon Air National Guard's 173d Fighter Wing (173 FW) flying the F-15 Eagle. An Air Education and Training Command (AETC)-gained unit, the 173 FW specializes as an advanced air-to-air combat training center for Regular Air Force and Air National Guard F-15 pilots, as well as hosting joint and combined air combat exercises for all US military services and those of Canada. Kingsley Field is also home to a USAF flight surgeon training school. The 173d Fighter Wing is currently under the command of Colonel James C Miller.

In 1928 the citizens of Klamath Falls approved the sale of $50,000 worth of bonds to construct an airport. The airport was known as the Klamath Falls Municipal Airport and consisted of gravel runways and one Fixed Base Operator. In 1942, the airport was selected as a site for a Naval Air Station subsequently named NAS Klamath Falls. In 1945, the airport transferred back to civilian use.

In 1954, the airport was selected as a site for U.S. Air Force installation under a joint civil-military arrangement supporting Air Defense Command, later Aerospace Defense Command (ADC) aircraft and squadrons. In 1957, the airport was dedicated as Kingsley Field in honor of 2nd Lieutenant David R. Kingsley, USAAF, an Oregonian killed in action on June 23, 1944 after a B-17 bombing mission over the oil fields of Ploesti, Rumania. In 1976, ADC was inactivated and control of the military installation passed to Tactical Air Command (TAC). In 1978, the Department of Defense chose to close Kingsley Field as a regular Air Force installation, transferring all military facilities to the Air National Guard.

Warning: simplexml_load_file( [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 260