AskBiography Logo   Latest News  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Google Buzz  Became Fan - Facebook  Subscribe to RSSRSS   Bookmark and Share

     Home | Football | Ken Mulhearn


MediaWiki 1.17wmf1






User talk


Wikipedia talk


File talk


MediaWiki talk


Template talk


Help talk


Category talk


Portal talk


Book talk

Ken Mulhearn




Number 57


Correct date formatting, replaced: football (soccer) → Association football, years1 → , → countryofbirth=England dateofdeath=, cityofbirth=Liverpool(age 2017)Kenneth John Mulhearn (born 16 October 1945 in Liverpool) is an English former football goalkeeper who played for Stockport County, Manchester City, Shrewsbury Town and Crewe Alexandra.

Mulhearn started his career as an apprentice at Everton but did not make the first team, and moved into the lower divisions with Stockport County, where he made 100 appearances. He was signed by First Division Manchester City on 21 September 1967, a transfer which Stockport great Len Allchurch later reflected on by saying "...a great 'keeper. We never thought we'd replace him when he went to City". Two days later Manchester City's first choice goalkeeper Harry Dowd sustained an injury, and Mulhearn took his place in the team, his debut coming in a Manchester derby. He kept his place for the remainder of the season, gaining a League Championship medal as part of Manchester City's 1967 68 title-winning side.

Mulhearn started the following season as first choice, but was dropped following a European Cup defeat to Fenerbahçe, in which his failure to claim a cross resulted in a winning goal for the Turkish side, leading Malcolm Allison to blame him for the defeat. He did not feature again that season, and dropped to third choice behind Dowd and Joe Corrigan. He returned to the first team for brief periods in the 1969 70 season, but by this time Corrigan had become established as a senior player and opportunities were limited. He made his final Manchester City appearance in a 1 1 draw against Arsenal on February 18, 1970. In March 1971 he transferred to Shrewsbury Town, where he made 370 league appearances in nine years. His final club was Crewe Alexandra, where he made 88 appearances before retiring to run a public house in Shrewsbury. He now works as a porter in Shelton Hospital, Shrewsbury.He has a Grandson called Harry Lewis, who is on the Shrewsbury Town books and a grandson called Jack Lewis.

Warning: simplexml_load_file( [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 260