AskBiography Logo   Latest News  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Google Buzz  Became Fan - Facebook  Subscribe to RSSRSS   Bookmark and Share

     Home | Football | Jim Casey (footballer)

{{Infobox football biography using [[Project:AWB → countryofbirth=Scotland position=Midfield, cityofbirth=Glasgow(age 2017)

Jim Casey (born August 2, 1957 in Glasgow) is a retired Scottish football midfielder. He spent eight seasons in Scotland and part of one season in the United States.

Originally a schoolboy signing with Celtic, Casey signed a professional contract with the Bhoys in May 1974. He made his Celtic first team debut in the 1-0 League Cup win at home to Stenhousemuir on September 24, 1975. He saw little first team time until the 1977-78 season. That year, Casey was given his break at sweeper after an injury to Pat Stanton. He was impressive against Motherwell FC at Fir Park in a 4-2 win in the League Cup on September 3, 1977 but seven days later Celtic blew a two goal lead in the league at Ibrox to lose 3-2 and Casey again found himself out of favour. After Billy McNeill's arrival in 1978, Casey re-enterd the first team until disaster struck on December 13, 1978 against Rangers in the League Cup semi-final. With the game tied at 2-2, Casey came on for the injured Mike Conroy. At 113 minutes, Roy Baines blocked a Derek Johnstone shot. The ball rebounded, struck Casey and rolled into the net. It was Celtic's first League Cup defeat since 1964 final. Casey returned to the reserves and during the 1979-1980 season, he the team, scoring against Morton in 2-0 Scottish Cup victory on March 8, 1980. In May 1980 Casey was earmarked for a place in the Scottish Cup final to replace the suspended Tom McAdam but an injury in training stopped any hopes he had.

Capable of playing both as a sweeper or as a holding midfielder the former Scotland schoolboy international was never able to hold down a regular first team starting spot and he eventually left Celtic for U.S. indoor side Phoenix Inferno of the Major Indoor Soccer League in November 1980. However, he lasted only a few weeks before he was back in Scotland with Arbroath FC. He retired in 1983.

Warning: simplexml_load_file( [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 260