AskBiography Logo   Latest News  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Google Buzz  Became Fan - Facebook  Subscribe to RSSRSS   Bookmark and Share

Blackpool International Airport

Blackpool International Airport
Airport information
Airport typePublic
OwnerBlackpool Airport Ltd
OperatorBalfour Beatty
LocationBlackpool, Lancashire
Elevation10 m (34 ft)

     Home | Airport | Blackpool International Airport

Blackpool International Airport is an international airport on the Fylde coast of Lancashire, England, in the Borough of Fylde, just outside the Borough of Blackpool. It was formerly known as Squires Gate Airport.

With aviation roots that trace back to 1909, Blackpool Airport was the first aviation site in the UK. The airport was owned and operated by City Hopper Airports Limited, which also owns Wolverhampton Airport and Biella Airport in Italy, before, in January 2007, being placed under new management after one of its two major shareholders bought out its partner. MAR Properties Ltd agreed terms to take over full control of Blackpool and Wolverhampton Airports. In May 2008, it was announced that Balfour Beatty had purchased MAR Property's 95% stake in the airport. The remaining 5% stake is held by Blackpool Borough Council.

Blackpool Airport Limited has a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Public Use Aerodrome Licence (Number P724) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flying instruction. By the number of passengers handled, Blackpool is the 33rd busiest in the UK.

Several scheduled airlines operate from the airport, as well as charter holiday flights in the summer months. Executive flights operated by J-Max Air Services, which includes Netjets, are also served from Blackpool. Helicopter operations serve north west England’s Irish Sea offshore gas facilities. This service is operated by Bond Offshore Helicopters. Blackpool Airport is also home to the North West Air Ambulance service operated by a twin-engined Eurocopter EC 135.

Passenger numbers decreased sharply from 439,200 in 2008 to 235,340 in 2010, a 46.3% reduction.

Warning: simplexml_load_file( [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "" in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 257

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/askbio/public_html/index_bio.php on line 260