Ballard Power Systems was originally founded as Ballard Research by Dr. Geoffrey Ballard. The company went public in 1993 on the Toronto Exchange, and in 1995, listed on NASDAQ.
Some of the work performed by Ballard has included commercialization of:
* fuel cell engines for the transportation market
* electric drives for both fuel cell and battery-powered electric vehicles.
* power conversion products for fuel cell generators
* microturbines and other distributed generation technologies
* fuel cell systems for markets such as portable power products and larger stationary generation products.
Ballard is a member of the British Columbia Technology Industry Association.